yoga4cancer Certificate Program
Advanced Oncology Yoga Training
Oncologists recommend yoga.
Yoga seems an obvious path for cancer patients and survivors coping with difficult treatments and their ongoing side effects. In fact, oncologists and cancer organizations are recommending yoga and exercise as part of cancer recovery and management. Both the American Cancer Society and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommend between to 150 – 320 minutes of yoga per week to speed recovery or defend against cancer occurrence and reoccurrence. The 2018 guidelines highlighted that an active yoga practice (mentioning Vinyasa) was necessary. Therefore, more and more cancer survivors are seeking yoga classes to gain these benefits.
But, not all yoga is the same and for cancer survivors the needs are different. True compassion flows from knowledge and facts. Without specific training, a teacher is not equipped to understand the unique physical and emotional needs and challenges of those touched by cancer. Over the past decade, the volume of research to support yoga as a safe and effective way to manage cancer side-effects has grown. Our evidence informed yoga4cancer Certificate Program provides the knowledge, facts, solutions and practice to address the specific needs of the cancer community.
ABOUT YOGA4CANCER PROGRAM
How Oncology Yoga is Different
The yoga4cancer methodology is an evidence informed Oncology Yoga method designed to support all cancer types, stages and needs. The unique method is based on an active vinyasa style that encourages movement coordinated with breath, accompanied by well-supported restorative poses to ensure participants achieve the maximum benefits of yoga. It is adaptable to meet the needs of cancer patients and survivors at any stage of treatment and recovery, and it can be applied in various ways by professionals of many different yoga styles and backgrounds. The 75 hour training explores:
- The physics and physiology of yoga
- Facts and research about cancer and cancer treatments
- Short and long term side-effects and how yoga can mitigate or reduce them
- Appropriate and inappropriate poses
- Methods and practices exploring how to talk about cancer and be authentically supportive to survivors
- Guidance on how to create an effective and safe class or practice
- Supervised practice teaching
Should You Join Us?
Types of Participants
In 2023, we are evolving our recommendation and approach to participation in the Certificate Program.
For Yoga Professionals
- This training is recommended for experienced, certified yoga teachers or therapists with at least 200 hours of completed training and 1 year of teaching experience.
- Yoga professionals from any style or lineage are welcome. The training is based on the vinyasa style but utilizes many techniques to maximize the benefits of yoga for cancer patients and survivors.
- The Teaching Practicum is challenging for non-experienced yoga professionals and is a requirement for certification.
We are developing an option for non-yoga teaching professionals. This option will provide most elements of the training but will not include practice teaching, mentorship and the required Teaching Practicum Assignment.
This program will not certify individuals in the yoga4cancer method and individuals will not be listed on our Certified Teacher directory. However, this option has been requested by healthcare practitioners, physical therapists, occupational therapists, social workers, and more who want to support and advocate for Oncology Yoga within their communities, healthcare centers and among their clientele. Details of this option will be announced in 2023.
NEW AND ENHANCED
yoga4cancer Certificate Program
Our renowned Certificate Program has evolved! Based on mounting recent research, newly developed resources and nearly 20 years of implementation, the Certificate Program is now 75 hours of training and includes the latest research, additional training content, mentor and peer engagement, and more resources. This enhanced program will ensure all graduates are best prepared to support cancer patients and survivors in their communities.
The yoga4cancer Certificate Program is delivered 100% online & via distance learning with carefully constructed videos, assignments, webinars, homework, practice, quizzes, discussion, mentor support and more. The program format is designed for busy yoga professionals who want to gain certification to safely and effectively support cancer survivors in their community.
Fast Facts about the Program
|75 hour program||One annual program will be offered starting in January 30, 2023. |
It will be conducted over 6 months.
Delivered online through live sessions, lectures, videos, reading, quizzes, assignments and mentorship.
|Self-paced, flexible schedule||Each participant determines their daily and weekly schedule to achieve deadlines.|
It is recommended that students do least 4 hours per week over 6 months. However a time-bound practicum and mentor session is required for certification.
|Registration||Registration will open in October 2022 and remain open until the program starts in Jan 2023 or when the maximum capacity is achieved (125 participants).|
|Live Interaction (with replays)||15 live sessions including webinars, exclusive classes and workshops with mentors.|
Events are held on Tuesdays at 3pm Eastern Standard Time. Dates are provided below.
Breakout sessions with mentors and fellow trainees will be provided.
Live participation is recommended but replays are available.
|yoga4cancer Manual||New 262 page manual includes the latest research, guidance on poses, teaching tools and more. |
Additional required reading: Tari’s Yoga for Cancer book.
|Mentorship||Ongoing support by Tari Prinster, y4c Team and Mentors.|
|CEU credits||Available for Yoga Alliance and the International Association of Yoga Therapists.|
|Tuition||SPECIAL OFFER: $1,399 – Register before December 1st 2022 and save $100.|
Full Price: $1,499 for the 75 hour program.
The 75 hour program is designed to be self-paced and flexible for various schedules, locations and learning styles. How and when you study, practice and learn each week is up to you. The program is structured across 28 weeks with various assignments to keep you on track. Specific live events are scheduled – see below – and all are recorded and available on replay.
Key 2023 Dates & Deadlines
- Program Starts – January 30th – Late Registration allowed based on approval.
- Practicum Deadline -May 24th
- Closing Webinar – July 24th
- Program Access Closes – December 31, 2023
- There are 15 live events scheduled throughout the 28 week Program.
- All events are held on Tuesdays at 3pm Eastern Daylight Time.
- Each event is unique and designed to support your learning curriculum, create community, and answer questions. Some events are optional and some are required.
- Live participation is always recommended but replays are available.
Despite the program’s flexibility, there are strategic deadlines to support completion of the program and to prevent cramming material. Our goal is to ensure comprehension and the safe and effective delivery of Oncology Yoga. These deadlines are specified throughout the curriculum, the program orientation and all program details.
Download Curriculum and Live Event Schedule
Please note some dates and times are subject to change but advanced notification will be provided for any registered individuals.
Pre-register below to learn more about our programs and options.
Why is this work necessary?
Cancer in Our World
- 40% of the world’s population will receive a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime.
- 17 million new cases of cancer are diagnosed worldwide each year.
- 68% of people will survive.
The cancer survivor population is large and growing, due to advancements in treatments. However, cancer treatments cause short and long term side effects that require management to improve long term health and survival.
High Satisfaction from Our Community
The program is conducted fully online and requires experience, understanding and interest in a training conducted via computers and the internet. The program is easy and intuitive, but if you are a novice at technology, it will require learning new skills. Technical requirements should not be intimidating, nor a barrier for participation for individuals who are motivated to learn and follow instructions.
- Use of a computer with high speed internet access is required to complete this program. Program access from tablets and smart phones is possible but not recommended for certain assignments.
- Up-to-date web browsers or any associated computer software is required. We recommend using Google Chrome to access the program.
- Basic understanding of technology and online learning is required. A willingness to embrace technology will ensure an enjoyable and effective program.
- Video recording is required by all participants. A 20 minute teaching practicum must be recorded and uploaded. We provide ample support and instructions.
- Technical guidance and support is offered for students, but we require all participants to follow instructions and tools when seeking technical support.
- Participants who may need additional technical support based on poor technological experience may be charged a fee.